Sunday, April 14, 2013

#4--What's Up New Craft?!

Guess what? I like crafts. I know, I know. It's hard to believe. But its true.

As the daughter to a craft Mom and who was the daughter of a crafty Mom, naturally this has always been a part of my life. I have always been one to pick a craft over most other activities almost my whole life.

But, I love learning new crafts and perfecting old ones. Or learning new ways to do crafts I already know.

Like crocheting. I've been crocheting as long as I can remember. When I was really little, I used to finger crochet long chains. Eventually I learned how to use crochet hooks and started in on scarves and baby blankets. When I went to college, the girls on my floor innocently teased me for crocheting during my down time. (Please note that within a year, crocheting had become cool and suddenly those giving me a hard time were asking for help). At any given moment, I always have a crocheting project in progress. (I am a failure at sitting still).

But, why not learn to make something new, right?

And that's when I remembered these great ponchos that my sister-in-law Whitney is always wearing. They always look so cute, and even more importantly, they always look so cozy. So, since Christmas was right around the corner (again, I'm a little behind on blogging) and Whitney's birthday is the day after, I decided that a crocheted poncho was just the right thing to make.

First, I grabbed some spare yarn (which I always have around in abundance) and a ridiculously huge crochet hook. The picture below shows this hook next to a standard pen for comparison.




Then, I looked online for a good tutorial. Now, when it comes to crafts and sewing, I learn more from experience than I do from written instructions. When reading crochet patterns, they might as well be in Hebrew. I have no clue what all of those abbreviations or technical terms mean. So, a video was going to be the only thing to get me started. I found this video below that helped give me a general idea of what to do (that I then took and adapted to work for me).


Within about a day over Christmas Break, my first ever poncho was finished. And then I forgot to take a picture of it before I gave it to Whitney. But, I decided I wanted to make one for myself, and so I grabbed some more random yarn I had lying around (seriously, that stuff is coming out of the wood works at my house), and threw this little beauty together:


Please excuse me for the bathroom selfie. (But how great is that custom shower curtain that Mom made for my house in the background?) I love this thing. It's like wearing a fashionable blanket to work. So comfy.

So, this is one of the next items I plan to list on my Etsy site. Whenever I'm able to take a picture of this little guy in a setting other than where I brush my teeth.

No comments:

Post a Comment